In order to brew a cortado, the most important piece of equipment you’ll need is an espresso machine. Since espresso is the foundation of the drink, you’ll need access to a machine in order to make the coffee properly. In addition to this, you’ll need your preferred milk of choice at the ready to add to the drink. Here’s a quick how-to:
- Begin by grinding, measuring, and tamping your espresso grounds.
- Place the portafilter containing your espresso grounds into the espresso machine.
- Extract two shots of espresso.
- After espresso extraction, steam your desired milk of choice (our go-to is whole milk, but you can use almond, coconut, oak, etc.)
- Slowly pour your steamed milk on your espresso. Make sure the ratio of espresso to milk is 1:1, and voila!
If you’re no stranger to brewing with espresso, or maybe even if you have an espresso machine at home, the cortado is a very simplistic yet savory drink to master. As far as presentation is concerned, you can serve it in the traditional 5-7oz or just in a coffee mug of your choosing.
And since the cortado’s main foundation is its ratio between espresso and milk, you can also get somewhat creative with your cortado by adding flavoring. Just as long as you keep the amount of espresso and milk, then you’re good to go.